Elite Dangerous - Post Horizon issues

Elite: Dangerous game-play, hints and tips (with a special members only trading route list)
KABLE
Site Admin

Elite Dangerous - Post Horizon issues

Post by KABLE » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:24 pm

Since Horizons went live, I have had nothing but issues with Elite Dangerous.

the main culprit is the data.ovx file that is corrupted. I tried everything under the sun including following Frontiers own methods of fixing this "Known" issue.
Nothing worked and finally went with Frontiers 3rd option of deleting the whole game and starting again. I did this and started from fresh only for the game not to even download due to the same file.....arggghhh!!!

so after a week of trawling the net and a ticket to frontier...i finally managed to get the 32 bit (not the 64 bit) version to download (partial downloaded 3 times mind you) and it took all the way until 1:00am this morning.

I shall try tonight to have a blast otherwise the game is going in the bin....so to speak being bloody digital copy...hmmmm wonder if i could print my own sleeve out, put it on a disc cover and then use that to chuck in the bin whilst simultaneously pressing delete :)

so if anyone has the issue of a problematic data.ovx or root.ovi file...let me know as i have copies of both 32 and 64 bit that are un-corrupted and i will walk you through the fix.

cheers

KABLE
Member of DevilWorks and Devils Brigade

XMadMarkX
Site Admin

Re: Elite Dangerous - Post Horizon issues

Post by XMadMarkX » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:05 pm

That is so fuck up!
Even frontier haven't been able to help you through the ticketing system is pretty bad.

I personally feel for you as I know you have given this game more than a fare go, only to have it screw you around again.
I hope tonight it gives you the pleasure you have be trying to get from it. :D
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
(Mahatma Gandhi)

KABLE
Site Admin

Post by KABLE » Sun May 29, 2016 12:11 am

The dreaded data.ovx issue has arisen again and I can no longer play/update/install Elite.....stoopid fucking thing.

KABLE
Site Admin

Post by KABLE » Tue May 31, 2016 4:23 pm

Update: Ticket responded to and result: downloaded again.

The advice given to me was to download the game again via steam. this only worked though once i deleted the data.ovx files again and the "product" folder (game)

This meant about a 4 hour re-download of the Game + Horizons + Engineers but finally installed and ready to fire up.

"can't" wait for the next DLC as this will mean back to the drawing board again as with what happened with both Horizons and Engineers. Funnily enough it does not happen to normal patch updates.